Chilled-out and Laid-Back Activities in Hermanus
WINE TOURS are by far the most popular laid-back activity and rightly so, as our wine region is stunning in scenery and stunning in producing incredible wines. The Hermanus wine valley has 20 great wineries, 10 amazing tasting rooms, over 100 award winning wines for you to sample, 5 fabulous lunch-time restaurants and all are set in outrageously pretty mountain scenery.
Wine Tours start from 2 hours (at only R500 per person) – up to – 6 to 10 hours (full day) depending upon what you desire (and how quick you quoff :-)) Each additional hour is only R75 per person per hour……(kids go for free)
Our Wine Tour Guides are accredited with the Cape Wine Academy so will discuss all sorts of wine related topics with you – it’s history, vine and grape cultivation, cellars, barrels, corks, bottling, exports etc…..while you sip on your glasses of wine.
Your Chauffeur Wine Tour Guide will drive you from one amazing winery to another in a luxury minibus, supply a cooler box of FREE soft drinks, John Platter wine book to see what the wine experts say about each wine you are tasting, a box of crackers to cleanse your palate between each wine sampled, plus many other comforts on board.
Longer full day wine tours allow you to discover further afield regions such as – Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Elim, Stanford, Botrivier, Paarl, Worcester, Montagu (Route 62) or any region you wish to explore – with over 500 wineries within an hour or 3 of Hermanus, then you are spoilt for choice. Some wineries even offer the totally original idea of “pairing” wines with – Chocolate / Olives / Nuts / Biltong / Nougat or Cheese – yummy!!!
Excellent lunch-time restaurants can easily be booked too….CONTACT US to arrange your individualised WINE TOUR.
Hermanus is blessed with many other laid-back activities to keep you busy and relaxed in equal measures.
– Whale Watching boat trips – there are only 5 boats allowed, so as to minimise their presence with the whales – SEASON is June to November
– Land-based Whale Watching walking tours – with so many secret coves and inlets that the whales love to frolic in close to shore – SEASON is June to November
– Kayaking with the Whales hopefully (June to Nov), Seals, Penguins and if you are lucky pods of Dolphins
– 3 seater Cessna Plane flights over the Whales and incredible scenery
– Penguin Colonies to see these lovely comical birds
– Bird Watching – there are over 350 species of birds around Hermanus, so it’s a “Twitchers” paradise…..
– Flower Gardens – with a Botanical Gardens only 30 minutes around the corner – this region is a World Heritage site due to its 1000’s of unique flowers, cacti, trees and plants – collectively called Fynbos – it’s a Botanists paradise…..
– Horse Riding along our huge deserted beach and/or up into the mountains
– Golf at one of our 2 fabulous courses
– Canoeing on our flat-as-a-pancake lagoon
– African craft markets – loads of imaginative colourful creative designs – African Art Classes too so you can make your own creations.
– Sundowner Boat Cruises on a large luxury Catamaran (Dec to Feb)
– River Cruises with BBQ / Braai facilities – they provide the boat, braai BBQ and you bring your food and drinks
– Scenic Road Trips – with SO much gob-smacking scenery your camera will be working on over-load – Cape Point, Cape Town, Cape Agulhas (southern tip of Africa), Garden Route, Route 62, West Coast and loads of other amazing locations…..and many more relaxed Activities and Tours available…….
Christmas and Birthday GIFT vouchers available for ALL Activities – please CONTACT US
A trip to Africa isn’t complete without going on a SAFARI.
Thankfully there is a Safari park within 2 and half hours of Hermanus. Situated in the remote and gorgeous mountainous and semi-arid desert region of the Little Karoo, with over 1,500 animals across 28 species in a huge 10,000 hectare park. So jump into your Safari Jeep with a Game Ranger to explore the African animals in their natural environments. 3 course hot lunch is also included and bring your swimming gear as their swimming pool is divine.
Luxury (and inexpensive) over night accommodation is available in air-con en-suite chalets too.
Other Activities – African Eagle & Owl park; Cheetah park – both where you can actually TOUCH the animals (as the photo shows); Lion park; Butterfly gardens; Crocodile park; Monkey park; fields of Antelope; Seal colony boat trips; 2 Oceans Aquarium – great at feeding time at the huge fish tank; Theme parks; local Micro-brewery to taste 7 very original beers; Cheese farm to sample 6 local cheeses;
Massages / Healing Therapy Spas; Shopping trips for African art, gold, diamonds, jewellery and craft-work; Casinos; Light-houses; Hiking trails; Sea Fishing; Swimming on long sandy beaches, rock-pools and secret coves;
Out-door concerts; Wine & Food Festivals; Township Tours; Planetarium; Whale Museum; Gold Museum; Candle Factory where Oprah Winfrey buys her candles; Ship Wreck Museum; and loads loads more……….